A. SCRIPTURE READING:
Peter 1:5-10 = "And beside this, giving all
diligence, add to your faith virtue; and to virtue knowledge;
And to knowledge temperance; and to temperance patience; and
to patience godliness; And to godliness brotherly kindness;
and to brotherly kindness charity. For if these things be in
you, and abound, they make you that ye shall neither be barren
nor unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. But
he that lacketh these things is blind, and cannot see afar off,
and hath forgotten that he was purged from his old sins. Wherefore
the rather, brethren, give diligence to make your calling and
election sure: for if ye do these things, ye shall never fall:"
- THIS STUDY IS PREPARED WITH A VIEW OF
HELPING US IN THE BUILDING OF ONES CHARACTER INTO THAT WHICH
WILL PLEASE GOD.
- THERE IS NO CHARACTER THAT WILL STAND
ACCEPTABLE BEFORE GOD IN THE DAY OF JUDGMENT THAT IS NOT COMPLETELY
- THE ART OF CHARACTER BUILDING:
- We used to talk about the arts like
paintings and sculptures; and yet very few of these have become
notably recognized as really successful works.
- We have come to realize:
- That anything successfully done
is an art.
- That a person who is skillful and
successful in any accomplishment is an artist.
- There are only a few who rise to
prominence out of the great mass of world population.
- From this worldly mass of mankind
only a few rise to great heights.
- Does this seem fair?
- Who is to blame The Creator?
- Or is it the society in which
- We have no one to blame but our
self for the failure.
- God is no respecter of persons,
so we can not blame Him. Acts
10:34 = "Then Peter opened his mouth,
and said, of a truth I perceive that God is no respecter
- The way of success in life, or
the way of salvation, is open to anyone that is willing
to work for it.
- THE WAY IN WHICH WE ALL MAY BE A SUCCESSFUL
ARTIST IS IN CHARACTER BUILDING.
- We start at the beginning to be successful:
22:6 = "Train up a child in the way he
should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it."
6:4 = "And, ye fathers, provoke not your
children to wrath: but bring them up in the nurture and admonition
of the Lord."
- Failure is generally due to bad,
or wrong, starting.
- There are few exceptions to overcoming
this handicap of the days of youthfulness.
- The correction of a poor, or
bad start, is often long and tedious.
- Every parent, teacher, or guardian,
of boys and girls should be eager to help in laying a good
foundation; and this should be even more so for Christians.
- The foundation stone must be properly
set in place. Isaiah
28:16 = "Therefore thus saith the Lord
GOD, Behold, I lay in Zion for a foundation a stone, a tried
stone, a precious corner stone, a sure foundation: he that
believeth shall not make haste."
- Peter wrote, 2
Peter 1:10 = "Wherefore the rather, brethren,
give diligence to make your calling and election sure: for
if ye do these things, ye shall never fall:"
- The beginning foundation of Christian
- Belief in God -- The God of the
- Belief in Christ -- The Son of
- Belief in the Bible -- The unerring
Word of God.
- We need to teach our children that
God requires the best that is in us -- without blemish:
- Four books of the Old Testament
[Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers and Deuteronomy], have "without
blemish" used in reference to offerings 33 times.
- Paul writes, Romans
12:1 = "I beseech you therefore, brethren,
by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living
sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable
- A curse is pronounced on one that
would offer to God a blemished offering. Malachi
1:14 = "But cursed be the deceiver, which
hath in his flock a male, and voweth, and sacrificeth unto
the LORD a corrupt thing: for I am a great King, saith the
LORD of hosts, and my name is dreadful among the heathen."
- Seven times in Leviticus, we find
it stated that no priest could carry out his duties of the
as a priest, if he had any blemish. Leviticus
21:17-24 = "Speak unto Aaron, saying,
Whosoever he be of thy seed in their generations that hath
any blemish, let him not approach to offer the bread of
his God. For whatsoever man he be that hath a blemish, he
shall not approach: a blind man, or a lame, or he that hath
a flat nose, or any thing superfluous, Or a man that is
brokenfooted, or brokenhanded, Or crookbackt, or a dwarf,
or that hath a blemish in his eye, or be scurvy, or scabbed,
or hath his stones broken; No man that hath a blemish of
the seed of Aaron the priest shall come nigh to offer the
offerings of the LORD made by fire: he hath a blemish; he
shall not come nigh to offer the bread of his God. He shall
eat the bread of his God, both of the most holy, and of
the holy. Only he shall not go in unto the vail, nor come
nigh unto the altar, because he hath a blemish; that he
profane not my sanctuaries: for I the LORD do sanctify them.
And Moses told it unto Aaron, and to his sons, and unto
all the children of Israel."
- God wants unblemished characters,
as well as, unblemished service. Ephesians
5:27 = "That he might present it to himself
a glorious church, not having spot, or wrinkle, or any such
thing; but that it should be holy and without blemish."
- Early in life, children will learn,
if they are so taught, to make sacrifices and that
God must have the best and so build for eternity.
- Everyone should be taught early
in life that the key word is "service".
- Never leave the idea with children
that they are too good to work.
- Jesus set the example of this,
22:27 = "For whether is greater, he that
sitteth at meat, or he that serveth? is not he that sitteth
at meat? but I am among you as he that serveth."
- A strong character is never built
on idleness. John
9:4 = "I must work the works of him that
sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man
- THE EFFECT OF INDIVIDUAL ACTS OF CHARACTER
- One sin will weaken ones character
structure, thus, we need to be ever on guard against wrong
Peter 5:8 = "Be sober, be vigilant: because
your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about,
seeking whom he may devour."
- Every little duty well-done fortifies
us and fits us for greater service. Ecclesiastes
9:10 = "Whatsoever thy hand findeth to
do, do it with thy might; for there is no work, nor device,
nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave, whither thou goest."
- Character consists of that which
one thinks, feels, and does. Philippians
4:8= "Finally, brethren, whatsoever things
are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things
are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are
lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be
any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things."
steps from thoughts to ones destiny:
- Thoughts turn into
- Acts, which turn into Proverbs
23:7 = "For as he thinketh"
- Habits, which turn into in his
heart, so is he:
- Character, which turn into
- CHARACTER IS OUR GREATEST NATIONAL
- Roger Babson and a friend once while
viewing the Niagara Falls commented:
- Babson said: "Our greatest
American asset is our unharnessed water power."
- His friend replied: "No! Our
greatest asset is the souls of our citizens. Here is where
we have failed nationally. We have thought in terms of stocks
and bonds, material wealth, and not in terms of human souls
- Jesus made this comment, Matthew
16:26 = "For what is a man profited, if
he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul? or what
shall a man give in exchange for his soul?"
- WE NEED TO LEARN IN CHARACTER BUILDING:
- The value of an early beginning and
not putting off:
12:1 = "Remember now thy Creator in the
days of thy youth, while the evil days come not, nor the
years draw nigh, when thou shalt say, I have no pleasure
Corinthians 6:2 = "(For he saith, I have
heard thee in a time accepted, and in the day of salvation
have I succoured thee: behold, now is the accepted time;
behold, now is the day of salvation.)"
- Being alert and wide awake to grasp
- It is said that "Opportunity
knocks but once."
- A misspent day is gone forever.
- Today is the only real day that
you, or I, will ever have on earth.
- Today is the tomb of yesterday
and the cradle of tomorrow.
- Paul wrote, Ephesians
5:15-16 = "See then that ye walk circumspectly,
not as fools, but as wise, Redeeming the time, because
the days are evil."
- The value of good friends. 1
Corinthians 15:33 = "Be not deceived: evil
communications corrupt good manners."
- We are greatly influenced by our
friends, sometimes sort of unconsciously.
- It is important that the young
be guarded from unwholesome friendships.
- We become like those with whom
we intimately associate.
- Good books, literature, movies,
and television will effect the development of character.
- A Biblical example:
- Abraham was a friend of God James
2:23 = "And the scripture was fulfilled
which saith, Abraham believed God, and it was imputed
unto him for righteousness: and he was called the Friend
- Jesus said, John
15:14 = "Ye are my friends, if ye do
whatsoever I command you."
- Learn dependence:
- Dependence should be absolutely
on God and not on man. Jeremiah
10:23 = "O LORD, I know that the way
of man is not in himself: it is not in man that walketh
to direct his steps."
- Be yourself and not a carbon copy
of someone else.
- Never let the disturbing name calling
of others lead you astray. Matthew
10:22 = "And ye shall be hated of all
men for my name's sake: but he that endureth to the end
shall be saved."
- REMEMBER THAT ALL MATERIAL THINGS CHANGE
-- WILL PASS AWAY.
- Earthly wealth will come to an end.
- All works of material things will
- The soul will live on: but where?
Peter 3:10 = "For he that will love life,
and see good days, let him refrain his tongue from evil, and
his lips that they speak no guile:"
Back to the Top