DOES THE CHURCH SAVE?
- THIS LESSON IS PRESENTED IN RESPONSE TO A RECENTLY
- THE ANSWER IS A SIMPLE: "NO"!
- The Church is that "which is saved".
- The Church is a spiritual house and a holy priesthood
to offer up spiritual sacrifices. I
Peter 2:5 "Ye also, as lively stones, are built
up a spiritual house, an holy priesthood, to offer up spiritual
sacrifices, acceptable to God by Jesus Christ."
- It is made up of "lively stones".
That is living stones [people] that compose, or make up what is
the Church, that are added only by the Lord. Acts
And the Lord added to the church
daily such as should be saved."
- The Church is made up of people. Paul expressed
it rather well in I
Corinthians. 14:23 "If therefore the whole
church be come together into one place, and all speak with
tongues, and here come in those that are unlearned, or unbelievers,
will they not say that ye are mad?" I
.. "How is it then,
brethren? When ye come together, every one of you hath
a psalm, hath a doctrine, hath a tongue, hath a revelation, hath
an interpretation. Let all things be done unto edifying."
- The spiritual sacrifices are "living
sacrifices", the bodies of the "living
stones" that are the Church. Romans
12:1-2 "I beseech you therefore, brethren,
by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice,
holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service. And
be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing
of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable
and perfect, will of God."
- WE NEED TO UNDERSTAND THE FUNCTION OF THE CHURCH
- Those that will be saved are in The Church, which
is the body of Christ, and there is only one body church.
4:4-6 "There is one body,
and one Spirit, even as ye are called in one hope of your calling:
One Lord, one faith, one baptism, one God and Father of all, who
is above all, and through all, and in you all."
- A person can not be saved outside of the church
which Jesus built. But a person can be saved outside of churches
made by man.
- LETS TAKE A CLOSER LOOK AT THE CHURCH AND
- THE CHURCH WAS BUILT BY CHRIST AND PAID FOR BY
16:18 "And I say also unto thee, that thou art
Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of
hell shall not prevail against it."
20:28 "Take heed therefore unto yourselves, and
to all the clock, over the which the Holy Ghost hath made you overseers,
to feed the church of God, which he hath purchased with his own blood."
- The Church is built by Christ.
- The Church was purchased with the blood of Christ.
- The responsibility of feeding the Church is the
- Those that will receive the benefits of the redeeming
blood of Christ are added to the Church.
- CHRIST IS THE HEAD OF HIS CHURCH:
5:23 "For the husband is the head of the wife,
even as Christ is the head of the church: and he is the saviour of
1:22-23 "And hath put all things under his feet,
and gave him to be the head over all things to the church, which is
his body, the fullness of him that filleth all in all."
- Christ is the head of the Church.
- Christ is the savior of the body (church).
NOTE: Christ then is not the savior of those outside of His body
- The church and Christs body are the same
thing and only within it does Christ provide fullness "that
filleth all in all" [Ephesians
1:23]. That is filling all the needs of its members.
- THOSE TO BE SAVED ARE IN THE BODY OF CHRIST, OR
Corinthians 5:17 "Therefore if any man be in
Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold,
all things are become new."
- Paul told the Christians in Corinth that they
were the body of Christ [I
- Christ is the savior of the body [Ephesians
- Therefore Christ saves those in his body the
church and not out of it.
- To be in Christ is to be in the church [Ephesians
- To be in Christ one has to become a "new
- HOW DOES ONE BECOME A NEW CREATURE?
6:3-4 "Know ye not, that so many of us as were
baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death? Therefore
we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ
was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so
we also should walk in newness of life."
- Paul tells us how one enters the body of Christ,
to obtain the benefit of his redeeming blood shed at his death [Acts
3:27 "For as many of you as have been baptized
into Christ have put on Christ."
- By baptism one enters the body (church) of Christ:
- "In newness of life"
- In the body of Christ (church) one is a "new
- THERE IS NO CONDEMNATION TO THOSE IN CHRIST.
8:1 "There is therefore now no condemnation
to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh,
but after the Spirit."
- These are those that "
added to the church daily such as should be saved"
- These were in the "oldness of life"
- walking after the flesh [Romans
- These now walk in "newness of life"
walking spiritually [Romans
- There are however conditions that must be met
for there to be no condemnation:
- They must not walk after the flesh [Galatians
- They must walk after the Spirit, that is after
the direction of Gods Word.
8:14 "For as many as are led by the Spirit
of God, they are the sons of God."
6:63 "It is the spirit that quickeneth;
the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you,
they are spirit, and they are life."
- [Read Romans
- "For the law of the Spirit of
life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and
- "So then they that are in the
flesh cannot please God" [Romans
If Christ be in you, the
body is dead because of sin; but the Spirit is life because
of righteousness" [Romans
- "For if ye live after the flesh,
ye shall die: but if ye through the Spirit do mortify the deeds
of the body, ye shall live" [Romans
- THOSE THAT WILL BE SAVED ARE IN THE CHURCH.
- NO ONE WILL BE SAVED OUT OF THE CHURCH, FOR THE
- "The saved" [Acts
- Who are live "acceptable unto God"
Peter 2:5; Romans
- HAS THE LORD ADDED YOU TO HIS BODY THE
- ARE YOU WALKING ACCEPTABLE TO GOD?
Back to the Top