Modern Views Of The Bible
- SCRIPTURE READING: I
Timothy 6:20-21 = :O Timothy, keep that
which is committed
to thy trust, avoiding profane and vain babbling, and
oppositions of science falsely so called: Which
some professing have erred concerning the faith, Grace
be with thee, Amen."
- THERE HAVE BEEN DIFFERENT VIEWS OF
THE BIBLE HELD AT DIFFERENT
- THIS STUDY IS OF THE VIEWS NOW HELD
BY THOSE WHO ARE RECOGNIZED
- MODERNISM, WHAT IS IT ALL ABOUT:
- Scheiermscher, "the father
of modern theology" [1768-1834]
- A theology hostile to the supernatural
revelation of Christianity.
- Religion is not a body of doctrine
or system of conduct but mans experiences.
- Feeling and "the Christian
conscience" obviates, or makes unnecessary,
authority of Gods word.
- Modernism is an ancient heresy
with new and modern trimmings:
- It harbors many heretical teachings
condemned by the early church such as:
- Arianism: The doctrine that
Christ was not the eternal Son of God.
- Dynamic Monarchianism: That
God is one in person as well as in nature.
- Socinianism: Rationalistic
explanation of sin, salvation, and the like.
- Modernism, as a method of discovering
truth, is relative new to todays church.
- Is not "modern things"
in the church as Kitchens, fellowship halls, located
preachers, and ETC.
- It is also known as:
- Liberalism: A movement in contemporary
intellectual liberty and the spiritual and ethical
content of Christianity.
- Neo-orthodoxy: The holding
of Christian faith as formulated in church creeds
- MODERNISM, AS IT VIEWS THE ORIGIN
OF THE BIBLE:
- The Bible did not come from God.
- It is not a supernatural revelation
from a higher creature to a lower one.
- It does not contain absolute
and unalterable truth.
- It is a product of evolution.
Man grew into a religion then fabricated a Bible.
- The Bible originated in primitive
and childlike ideas and concepts.
- It is no wonder that Modernism
is totally different from Christianity as:
- The foundation of Christianity
is the Bible.
- The foundation of modernism is
the shifting emotions of sinful men.
- MODERNIST REGARD FOR THE BIBLE:
- The Old Testament:
- A record of human experiences
written by ordinary men.
- A patchwork of imagination and
- The problem is distinguishing
- What is truth and that which
- What is myth and that which
- The idea of God:
- Cruel and blood thirsty.
6:5-7 = "And GOD saw that the
wickedness of man was great
in the earth, and that every imagination of the
thoughts of his heart
was only evil continually. And it repented the
LORD that he had
made man on the earth, and it grieved him at his
heart. And the
LORD said, I will destroy man whom I have created
from the face
of the earth; both man, and beast, and the creeping
thing, and the
fowls of the air; for it repenteth me that I have
10:1-3 = "And Nadab and Abihu,
the sons of Aaron, took
either of them his censer, and put fire therein,
and put incense
thereon, and offered strange fire before the LORD,
commanded them not. And there went out fire from
and devoured them, and they died before the LORD.
said unto Aaron, This is it that the LORD spake,
saying, I will be
sanctified in them that come nigh me, and before
all the people I
will be glorified. And Aaron held his peace."
- His morals are crude and vulgar.
- He is not a God to be desired.
- The New Testament:
- The gospels are pure fiction.
- The records of the New Testament
cannot be proved.
- Christ, the main character, is
an ethical Christ, not a saving Messiah.
- He is the supreme revelation
of God whose ethical teachings are marvelous.
- His teachings establish a community
where men serve one another out of
- Redemptive power is in his
life rather than in His atoning death.
- Miracles are all myths; or can
be naturally explained.
- Second coming of Christ conjured
by emotionally intoxicated disciples and is false.
- ALL FALSE DOCTRINES SEEK TO GET MEN
AWAY FROM THE BIBLE.
- MODERNISM IS A DANGEROUS PHILOSOPHY
IN THE SOCIAL, ECONOMIC AND RELIGIOUS FIELD.
- YET THE BIBLE IS THE ONLY MEANS OF
SUPPLYING ALL OF MANS NEEDS:
Timothy 3:16-17 = "All scripture
is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for
doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction
in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect,
throughly furnished unto all good works."
- CHRIST IS MANS ONLY WAY TO
14:6 = "Jesus saith unto him, I am
the way, the truth, and the life: no man
cometh unto the Father, but by me."
- Christ binds His way of man for
mans own good.
- The contrast between good and evil.
10:10 = "The thief cometh not,
but for to
steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that
they might have life, and that they might have it
- There is life to dead souls.
2:1-5 = "And you hath he quickened,
who were dead in trespasses and sins; Wherein in
time past ye walked
according to the course of this world, according
to the prince of the power
of the air, the spirit that now worketh in the children
Among whom also we all had our conversation in times
past in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires
of the flesh and of the mind; and were by nature
the children of wrath, even as others. But God,
who is rich in mercy,for his great love wherewith
he loved us, Even when we were dead in sins, hath
quickened us together with Christ, (by grace ye
- We are complete in Christ. Colossians
2:9-10 = "For in him dwelleth
all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye
are complete in him, which is the
head of all principality and power:"
- Peace and joy come through Christ.
4:7 = "And the peace of God,
which passeth all understanding, shall keep your
hearts and minds through Christ Jesus."
- The gospel of Christ is a philosophy
upon which every relationship of life can be safely
- With fellow creatures of Gods
- With the world.
- With God.
- Or to put it in other words:
Socially, Economically, and Spiritually
- THE WORLD WITH ITS PHILOSOPHY WILL
BE JUDGED BY CHRIST:
- Worldly wisdom is foolishness with
Corinthians 3:18-20 = "Let no man
deceive himself. If any man among you seemeth to be
wise in this world, let him become a fool, that he
may be wise. For the wisdom of this world is foolishness
with God. For it is written, He taketh the wise
in their own craftiness. And again, The Lord knoweth
the thoughts of the wise, that they are vain."
- Everyone of us will give an accounting
to the Lord. Romans
14:11-12 = "For it is
written, As I live, saith the Lord, every knee shall
bow to me, and every tongue
shall confess to God. So then every one of us shall
give account of himself to
- Before the Lord every knee will
one day bow. Philippians
2:10 = "That at the name of
Jesus every knee should bow, of things in heaven,
and things in earth, and things under the earth;"
- The Word of God will judge every
12:48-50 = "He that rejecteth me,
and receiveth not my words, hath one that judgeth
him: the word that I have spoken, the same shall judge
him in the last day. For I have not spoken of myself;
but the Father which sent me, he gave me a commandment,
what I should say, and what I should speak. And I
know that his commandment is life everlasting: whatsoever
I speak therefore, even as the Father said unto me,
so I speak."
- WE ARE TOLD NOT TO LOVE THIS WORLD:
- The world will come to an end and
John 2:15-17 = "Love not the world,
neither the things that are in the world. If
any man love the world, the love of the Father is
not in him. For all that is in
the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of
the eyes, and the pride of life, is
not of the Father, but is of the world. And the
world passeth away, and the lust thereof: but
he that doeth the will of God abideth for ever."
Peter 3:10-18 = "But the day of
the Lord will come as a thief in the night; in
the which the heavens shall pass away with a great
noise, and the elements
shall melt with fervent heat, the earth also and the
works that are therein shall be burned up. Seeing
then that all these things shall be dissolved, what
manner of persons ought ye to be in all holy conversation
and godliness, Looking for and hasting unto the coming
of the day of God, wherein the heavens being on fire
shall be dissolved, and the elements shall melt with
fervent heat? Nevertheless we, according to his promise,
look for new heavens and a new earth, wherein dwelleth
righteousness. Wherefore, beloved, seeing that ye
look for such things, be diligent that ye may be found
of him in peace, without spot, and blameless. And
account that the longsuffering of our Lord is salvation;
even as our beloved brother Paul also according to
the wisdom given unto him hath written unto you; As
also in all his epistles, speaking in them of these
things; in which are some things hard to be understood,
which they that are unlearned and unstable wrest,
as they do also the other scriptures, unto their own
destruction. Ye therefore, beloved, seeing ye know
these things before, beware lest ye also, being
led away with the error of the wicked, fall from your
own stedfastness. But grow in grace, and in the
knowledge of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ.
To him be glory both now and for ever. Amen."
- The only true rest for our souls
is in Christ. Matthew
11:28-30 = "Come unto me, all ye
that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give
you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn of
me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall
find rest unto your souls. For my yoke is easy,
and my burden is light."
Back to the Top